The scions of two foodservice companies have teamed up to create The Butcher’s Son food truck in Dallas, and expect to have five trucks rolling by February.
Jon Wagner, grandson of Johnsonsville Sausage founder Ralph Stayer, and Dain B. Pool, son of Lawrenceville, Ga.-based Pool’s Restaurant Group founder Dan Pool, have formed Two Trucks LLC. The company’s first Butcher’s Son truck debuted Oct. 5, and a second truck is scheduled to deploy on Oct. 17.
“Powered by Johnsonville” is printed on the side of the truck, but the menu goes beyond sausage to include breakfast dishes, such as pastrami with eggs and cheese on a roll. It also offers sandwiches, sausage plates, quesadillas, sliders, fries, and fried Oreo cookies and cake pops for dessert.
In the first week of operations, Pool said the most popular items have been a trio of sliders, a stuffed pepper, a double-bratwurst sandwich, a beef-andouille sausage po’boy and a braised-beef quesadilla.
Breakfast checks have averaged $3 to $5 during that time, and lunch checks have averaged $6 to $9, Wagner said.
Pool said the company envisions having as many as 200 company-owned trucks nationwide by 2014.
He also said teaming with an established sausage purveyor like Johnsonsville “offers us the highest quality products with the legendary flavor, also it gives the customer the peace of mind of a trusted brand.”
Hear more from Wagner and Pool about the food truck business; story continues on next page
- No service @KlydeWarrenPark today but you will see us curbside tomorrow starting at 11am! Make some plans to come and see us!
- A break from the rain! Come quick and grab a much deserved meal! Open @KlydeWarrenPark 2pm!
- Rain, Rain, Go Away! No public service again today. It looks like there may be some hope for service… https://t.co/I2D2jcB58e
- No Public service today. Crossing our fingers the rain forecast changes for tomorrow! Stay dry and safe out there!
- @tank82tx @KlydeWarrenPark We don’t carry the beef tenderloin on our regular menu anymore. Keep an eye out though!… https://t.co/WAKRkMexrS